Bylaws/ordinances, associated regulations, and development design and performance standards are the tools often used to implement community land use plans. Below is a list of opportunities for improving regulations and development standards to better protect people, property, and municipal resources for the benefit of the entire community, including developers, residents, business owners, and local government.
Land Use Requirements
- Passing strict zoning ordinances and regulations
- Considering potential future conditions when siting new development
- Keeping new public infrastructure out of hazard-prone areas
- Incorporating National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) requirements into local ordinances and regulations
- Ensuring local regulations allow appropriate development techniques
- Creating permanent no-build areas